Concealed Weapons Permits (CCW)
LIVESCAN NOW OPEN FOR CCW INITIAL APPLICATIONS.
CALL 760-932-7549, OPT 5
You can complete and submit your renewal application by clicking here. This will take you to our new CCW site.
The Mono County Sheriff’s Office has recently fielded questions on why we have changed our policy regarding the issuance of Concealed Carry of Weapons permits. The Mono County Sheriff’s Office is merely following the law. We have had several permit holders submit renewal applications that do not meet the statutory requirement of Mono County residency. In fact, some of these applicants have been residents of other counties and states. The Penal Code precludes the issuance of a permit under these circumstances. Proof of residency can be established by providing a valid California driver's license or voter registration. The Mono County Sheriff’s Office does require that applicants or permit holders demonstrate, to a recognized range master, the ability to safely manipulate and fire each weapon listed on the application or authorized by the permit. Sheriff Braun has not denied any permit for failure to establish the good cause as required by the law. However, permits have been denied for failure to meet the statutory requirements of California Law. The Mono County Sheriff’s Office encourages residents to contact the Office with questions or concerns at:
Mono County Sheriff Department
Administrative Service Specialist
POLICYOur CCW policies and procedures have changed to facilitate the timeliest and most efficient way to issue CCW permits while managing Sheriff’s Office resources.
- California Law grants the Sheriff of a county the ability to issue a CCW license. Before the issuance of a CCW license, California state statutes require proof of the following:
- The applicant is of good moral character.
- Good cause exists for the issuance of the license.
- The applicant is a resident of the county or a city within the county.
- The applicant has completed an approved course of training.
- If you are a resident of Mammoth Lakes, you will need to apply to the Mammoth Lakes Police Department for a CCW permit. (MLPD CCW page)
- Initial Permit: $108.00
- Renewal Permit: $62.00
NOT A MONO COUNTY RESIDENT?
If you are not a Mono County Resident but can submit proof that you work or conduct significant business within Mono County, the Sheriff has the discretion to issue you a license that is valid for no more than ninety (90) days and is only valid in Mono County. There are additional conditions and restrictions to this type of license.