Deputy Sheriff Annuitant (part time)
HIRING STATUS: NOW HIRING
Administrative Services Specialist
Please submit your applications to:
Mono County Sheriff's Office
Attn: Amber Weller
PO Box 616
Bridgeport, CA 93517
A Deputy Sheriff Annuitant works at the will and pleasure of the Sheriff and is under direct supervision by the Undersheriff and his staff as assigned. He/she serves in a highly responsible and visible capacity in the protection of life and property; provides public security for both the Mammoth Lakes and Bridgeport Superior Courts; performs law enforcement and crime prevention work as assigned. The Deputy Sheriff Annuitant works under general supervision within a framework of established procedures and is expected to perform a variety of law enforcement duties with only occasional instruction, assistance and supervision. Adequate performance at this level requires the knowledge of departmental procedures and the ability to choose among a variety of alternatives in solving emergency and routine incidents. The Deputy Sheriff Annuitant is expected to work productively even in the absence of supervision, and also could be asked to assist in the supervision and training of new, less experienced, law enforcement employees and/or court security officers. A Deputy Sheriff Annuitant shall be assigned to a Field Training Officer Program to familiarize him/her with the technicalities of the Superior Courts, Court Security, etc. This training program will be abbreviated as deemed appropriate based on the level of previous law enforcement experience he/she has.
Example of Duties
Depending upon assignment, duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform Bailiff duties as assigned.
- Make critical decisions as necessary in the field regarding emergency situations and apprehension techniques.
- Make arrrests as necessary; interview victims, complainants, and witnesses; interrogate suspects; gather and preserve evidence; testify and present evidence in court.
- Prepare reports and serve subpoenas and civil documents as necessary.
- Administer first aid in emergency situations.
- Perform inmate transports as assigned.
- Maintain contact with the citizens regarding potential law enforcement problems and preserve good relationships with the general public.
- Provide entry security screening for the Mono County Superior Courts, both in Mammoth Lakes and Bridgeport, conduct routine security sweeps of the interior and exterior of the courthouse, conduct special security sweeps as warranted by suspicious activity, circumstances, or as directed.
- Inspect, set-up, take down and test court screening equipment and signage each day that the court is in session.
- Effectively deal with and provide support for courthouse access issues (ie persons requiring wheelchairs, crutches, and animal assistance).
- Monitor designated radio channels to ensure no unauthorized use of radios in the courthouse and courtrooms.
- Search all bags, purses, briefcases, and other carry-in items for weapons and other contraband.
- Prepare and submit reports, other documents and perform a variety of assignments or duties as necessary or assigned.
Applicants shall possess knowledge of
- Applicable procedures in conducting arrests, investigations, and other assigned duties.
- Use and care of firearms.
- First Aid and CPR.
Applicants must have the ability to
- Serve in a law enforcement capacity in a responsible and effective manner, ofter under difficult and stressful situations.
- Observe accurately and remember names, faces, numbers, incidents, and places.
- Demonstrate ability in the use and care of firearms, and proficiency in meeting Range Qualification Standards.
- Think and act quickly in emergencies and judge situations and people accurately.
- Learn, understand, and interpret laws and regulations.
- Prepare accurate and grammatically correct written reports.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
Required Experience and Education
- Any combination equivalent to experience and education that could likely provide required knowledge and abilities would be qualifying.
- Completion of high school (or equivalent) supplemented by specialized training as approved by the Commission of Peace Officers Standards and Training (POST).
Required Licences or Certificates
- Possession of a Basic Certificate issued by the Commission on Peace Officers Standards and Training or Certificate of Completion of POST certified academy.
- Possession of an appropriate valid California Driver's License.
Employee Benefits for the Deputy Sheriff Annuitant
- Salary Range: $35.00 per hour
- Part Time Employment As Needed
- Equipment Issued
Various misc. depending on training
EOE | AAE | ADAE