Mono County was created on April 21, 1861. It is located on the east side of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range. The county covers approximately 3100 square miles of mountainous and high desert terrain. The population of the county during the last census was 12,853 permanent residents. The historic town of Bridgeport is the county seat. There are numerous smaller communities and towns in the county, the largest being the only incorporated town in the county, the Town of Mammoth Lakes. Mono County is a major tourist destination for skiing, fishing, hunting and a great deal of other outdoor recreational activities.
The Mono County Sheriff's Office is headed by the Sheriff-Coroner. The Administrative staff is comprised of the Undersheriff, one Lieutenant, one Administrative Services Specialist/Public Information Officer and one Financial Analyst. The field force is staffed by the following: four Sergeants, approximately twelve Patrol Deputies, two Investigators, one Bailiff, one Civil Deputy, and one School Resource Deputy. The Sheriff's Office also staffs the Jail, Dispatch and Records Unit with one Lieutenant, two Sergeants, approximately fifteen Public Safety Officers and two Chefs. The Department dispatches for the Mammoth Lakes Police Department, the county EMS system, county Animal Control, and eleven Fire Districts.
Benefits Working for the Mono County Sheriff's Office
No matter what job you have with the Mono County Sheriff's Office, you'll enjoy these common benefits.
- A small department means you'll know your co-workers on a first name basis.
- Living in a small community, you'll know many of your neighbors by their first name, too.
- Four season climate.
- Outstanding outdoor recreational activities.
- Being able to talk with the Sheriff face to face.
- Competitive salary and benefits package.
- Opportunity to train, learn, and advance your career.
- Knowing you're helping to serve and protect 14,000 residents in our rural county.
Questions regarding the hiring process
If you have any questions regarding our hiring process, please:
Send an email to:
recruitment [at] monosheriff [dot] org
Or, send correspondence to:
Mono County Sheriff's Office
PO Box 616
Bridgeport, CA 93517